Hot Tub Logo Hot Tub Pumps Hot Tub Heaters Hot Tub Chemicals Hot Tub Covers Spa Plumbing Balboa Spa Parts Hot Tub Accessories Hot Tub Home Hot Tub Special Hot Tub Products Hot Tub Articles Hot Tub Testimonials Contact Hot Tub Hot Tub Faqs Hot Tub Blog
Issue : #1589
Gas hot tub heater does not work in cold

Hi there, I have a Pentair DS100 gas hot tub heater and I find it does not produce much heat during the winter.  We live in Minneapolis.  A fiend told me that this type of gas hot tub heater is to only be used in the summer months and that is why it does not work very well?  I see that your sell these heaters with your wood hot tubs, have your had the same experience.  Do you have any suggestions to improve the performance of this gas heater?

Thanks

GT

RE: Gas hot tub heater does not work

George, your friend is correct.  Gas hot tub or pool heaters do not work in below freezing conditions.  This is why you seldom see this option for hot tubs in the Northern regions.  As it gets colder out the efficiency and burning characteristics of the heater diminishes with temperatures.  We do sell gas heaters but restrict the sales of these to warmer climates or indoor installations.  The Pentair heater does have an indoor flue kit that is available for it.  This would be your best option.  Move the heater indoors or build a small heated enclosure around it and purchase the vent kit.  We also sell a hybrid heating system that uses both gas and electricity so when it is winter customers switch over to the electric heating option and reverse this for the summer.

I hope this helps.

Dan

RE: Gas hot tub heater does not work in cold
Dan thanks for information. ?That makes alot of sense. ?I wish I had of found your company before I bought this hot tub as both my wife and I love the looks of your wooden hot tubs and I also see that you offer wood fired versions.
Cheers! ?George

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:36 PM, cedartubsdirect <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi George Turner, A rep replied to a support ticket with cedartubsdirect.
ISSUE #1589
----------------- Content of the Ticket -----------------
Subject : Gas hot tub heater does not work
Message : George, your friend is correct. ?Gas hot tub or pool heaters do not work in below freezing conditions. ?This is why you seldom see this option for hot tubs in the Northern regions. ?As it gets colder out the efficiency and burning?characteristics of the heater diminishes with temperatures. ?We do sell gas heaters but restrict the sales of these to warmer climates or indoor installations. ?The Pentair heater does have an indoor flue kit that is available for it. ?This would be your best option. ?Move the heater indoors or build a small heated enclosure around it and purchase the vent kit. ?We also sell a hybrid heating system that uses both gas and electricity so when it is winter customers switch over to the electric heating option and reverse this for the summer. I hope this helps. ? Dan ?
------------------------------------------------------------------
In the meantime, you can update the ticket by replying to this mail. You can also update this ticket using the URL : Click Here
Thanks for using our Service. Regards
cedartubsdirect

--
Dan Jung - Northern Lights Cedar Tubs