Hot Tub Logo Hot Tub Pumps Hot Tub Heaters Hot Tub Chemicals Hot Tub Covers Spa Plumbing Balboa Spa Parts Hot Tub Accessories Hot Tub Home Hot Tub Special Hot Tub Products Hot Tub Articles Hot Tub Testimonials Contact Hot Tub Hot Tub Faqs Hot Tub Blog
Issue : #954
pump flow rates @ 2\\" vs 1.5\\" - Can i reduce 2\\" to 1.5\\"?

I am building a spa from scratch and am interested in purchasing the

2 HP Spa Pump (Balboa) Ultima 220/240 Model:DuraJet

but the intake and discharge are designed for 2" plumbing. My spa has 1.5" flex. Can I put a reducer in the intake/discharge or will that cause the pump to work harder and damage it, or reduce it's life, since the water flow will be reduced by .5"? Please advise.

- Jane

RE: pump flow rates @ 2\\\\\\\\\\" vs 1.5\\\\\\\\\\" - Can i reduce 2\\\\\\\\\\" to 1.5\\\\\\\\\\"?

That is not a problem and we can provide the reducers @$4.50 each.  We do precicely this with some of our own hot tubs.

Dieter Jung

Northern Lights Cedar Tubs Inc.

RE: RE: pump flow rates @ 2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" vs 1.5\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" - Can i reduce 2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" to 1.5\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"?

This is good news.  Thank you.

I have another question with regard to pump and blower size in HP.

As mentioned, I am building from scratch and highly interested in he Balboa Model VS501z - System PN54356HC - Kit PN 54220-z

I need to spec a pump and blower. I see that I cannot exceed 12amps for either, but how do I calcuate HP?

My spa is octagon. 77" across top, 33" high. I have calucated approximately 600 gallons. I have just purchased 5 Waterway Jet Air III Jets

2 - Pulse - 10 gpm

2 - Variflo - 10 gpm

1 - Whirlpool - 10 gpm

The blower will be pushing air through:

47 1/8" holes

17 1/4" holes

Can I outfit the tub with a 1.5 hp blower and pump or should I go with 2hp on each? I understand more may not be better in this case, so am apprehensive about the 2hp, but if it will produce a robust burst of both water and air without damage, I would like that.

Please advise.

Thank you for your time, Jane

RE: RE: RE: pump flow rates @ 2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Your water flow requirements are 50 gpm with all jets on.  That is easily handled with the 1.5 pump.

I can't help you with the blower calculation.  We don't use them anymore and I don't have the information on design of blower system.

Dieter

RE: RE: RE: RE: pump flow rates @ 2\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Excellent. Thank you for your rapid responses. Ordering soon from you guys!!! =)