Hot Tub Logo Hot Tub Pumps Hot Tub Heaters Hot Tub Chemicals Hot Tub Covers Spa Plumbing Balboa Spa Parts Hot Tub Accessories Hot Tub Home Hot Tub Special Hot Tub Products Hot Tub Articles Hot Tub Testimonials Contact Hot Tub Hot Tub Faqs Hot Tub Blog
Issue : #1542
hot tub not heating

My hot tub was 14 months old and the heater developed a crack and kept on tripping the GFI. I purchased a new Balboa Revolution 1500 spa pak from your company in July. It worked great until recently. Now the control panel is calling for constant heat and the highest it will go is 97 degrees. With the cooler weather the temp has dropped to 92 degrees.I checked the voltage at the GFI and the main power to the pak. It is at 220 volts. I did not want to poke around in the pak as it is very tight and did not want to short anything out. Please advise. What should I be testing? Do I need ANOTHER pak?

Gord

RE: hot tub not heating

What does it all say in small letters on the top side panel?  Also is the "heat" yellow LED light on all the time?  And when it is on can you measure whether you have 240 volts across both heater terminals, please, using a multi-meter in AC volts mode.  With power off, also measure the resistance across the heater element with an ohm-meter

Dieter

RE: hot tub not heating

The yellow heat light and low pump is on all the time.  Temp range points up for high. When I push temp button up and hold, 104 flashes. Than temp shows 95 degrees. Resistance across heater is 14.8 ohms. Heater terminal to main is 238 volts both sides. Heater terminal to terminal is 0 volts. It has been over 3 weeks and the temperature fluctuates only a few degrees. The pump has run continuously for this time period.  I have turned off power and started many times with the same results. I look forward to hearing from you.

Gord Barr
To: "cedartubsdirect" <[email protected]>

Hi Gord Barr, A rep replied to a support ticket with cedartubsdirect.
ISSUE #1542
----------------- Content of the Ticket -----------------
Subject : hot tub not heating
Message : What does it all say in small letters on the top side panel?  Also is the "heat" yellow LED light on all the time?  And when it is on can you measure whether you have 240 volts across both heater terminals, please, using a multi-meter in AC volts mode.  With power off, also measure the resistance across the heater element with an ohm-meter Dieter
------------------------------------------------------------------
In the meantime, you can update the ticket by replying to this mail. You can also update this ticket using the URL : Click Here
Thanks for using our Service. Regards
cedartubsdirect

RE: RE: hot tub not heating

The problem will be one of two.

1) The red L2 electric service wire is not making contact at the terminal block.  Check that by placing voltmeter from RED to BLACK srcews on main terminal block and from any RED AC to any BLK AC terminal.

2) The relay (bottom) circuit board is bad, so that one of the relays involved in switching power to the heater element is staying open.

If you confirm it is not 1) then the spa pack can be replaced under warranty.  Actually the replacement is only for the offending component, but with two circuit boards, it gets complicated to know for sure which one it is, and I will have you return the entire spa pack.

In that case I will need the units serial #, your shipping address and phone #.

Dieter